This is a blog from a Non Stipendiary Minister (ie an ordained priest who doesn't work full time in the church, but has a real job instead) with my perspective about church, work, the world and life.

Monday, October 03, 2005

Harvest Renewal

Finally!! I manage to find 10 minutes to update this blog even though I'm sure all the millions of readers have given up ever seeing anything from me again (Ha!).

The reason? - To write about a great weekend doing an amazing harvest event with my church and the Tesco store next door which has reinvigorated my attitude towards ministry (specifically mine!), old, established churches (the one I go to) and human nature ( especially at Tescos).

Background - I managed to persuade Tesco's and St. Andrew's Church Hove, to collaborate on harvest this weekend. Rather than trying to persuade people to come to church for harvest (although we did do that) which is not a problem in Hove as it's one of our more popular services, I was able to create a leaflet for people to use as a devotional aid as they went round the supermarket doing their shopping. This was combined with some displays in the store and some reference to the same themes in our service in church yesterday morning. You can see some of the displays on the Eden blog http://eden.blogs.com/eden/ and if I can ever work out how to post attachments or pictures I'll put some of the leaflet on here.

So as people went through the fruit and veg section they were encouraged to think about the fruit of their lives accompanied by a few verses from Luke 6 and so on throughout the whole store.

We gave out 3,500 leaflets on Saturday and it was amazing to see people stopping in the aisles in front of the bread section, engrossed in the leaflet and clearly taking part in the whole idea. It was great to be able to take spirituality out into the real world, instead of expecting them to come to us on our terms in our buildings with our rituals and rules.

The whole experience has reinvigorated me, made me start thinking about fresh expressions of churches in strange places and other ways of doing our spiritual things in a real world context, not a church world context.

The great thing is the manager of the store asked me yesterday when we can do the next thing together. I feel a Christmas experience coming on!

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

brilliant idea! well done

7:58 AM

 
Blogger Dave Walker said...

Yes - great idea. Glad to hear it went so well.

8:08 AM

 
Blogger jonny said...

brilliant idea martin - i am going to add it to my list of worship tricks if that's ok. hope others might pick up on it...

8:33 AM

 
Blogger martin poole said...

Thanks everyone up so early today! Please go ahead putting into worship tricks Jonny.

10:38 AM

 
Blogger Sarah Brush said...

Fantastic idea!

Thank you so much. This might JUST be enough to persuade our church to do something other than wheelbarrow procession next year!!!

10:48 AM

 
Blogger Phil said...

thats a great idea.

7:25 PM

 
Blogger Kathryn said...

Really exciting...I wonder what scope there might be with our local Summerfields...hmmnnn

11:27 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely fantastic. Well done!

11:40 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great to read this.

blessings:)

1:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

stepping out in faith...isn't it amazing what God can do when we let him..well done i will look to encourage a group from our church to do this.!

7:24 AM

 
Blogger Steve Tilley said...

Sounds really good mate. Well done.

St

6:30 PM

 
Blogger hadge said...

what a great idea - god bless you mate! I'm thinking about adapting the idea for our uni canteen!

9:12 PM

 
Blogger Mark said...

what a great idea! thanks for this bit of genius!

3:28 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good original idea that I must remember for next year.

8:59 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harvest Renewal is a fun title to find. It just amused me when I came across it on my search
for Christian in these blogs. Amazing what you can find and where you end up.

1:36 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home